William Murphy - Lismore
1917 - 3rd February 2010
Father Bill Murphy was born in 1917, baptized in St Carthage's Cathedral, and educated at the Marist Brothers' High School in Lismore. In 1934 Bishop Carroll awarded him an ecclesiastical half-bursary to attend St John's College, Woodlawn, after which he proceeded to St Columba's College, Springwood and St Patrick's College, Manly.
Father Murphy was ordained priest by Bishop Carroll in St Carthage's Cathedral on 26 July, 1942. At the end of that year Bill was appointed assistant to Father John Relihan at Casino, and in 1946 assistant to Monsignor Maguire at the Cathedral.
Father Murphy's first appointment in education was as Inspector of Schools in 1953 while still assistant at Ballina. From 1957 onwards he was the first full-time Director of Schools in the Diocese.
Father Murphy suffered from ill health over a considerable period and in 1973 retired to lesser duties first to Mullumbimby and then to Brisbane where he was to remain for the rest of his life.
He was acknowledged from his seminary days as a man of theological ability, with a strong interest in catechetics. During the Second Vatican Council he was an adviser to Bishop Farrelly. He followed church matters keenly even in later years when overtaken by loss of eyesight, and assisted other priests in their understanding of theological and other developments in the wake of the Council.
Father Murphy's funeral Mass will be celebrated at Corpus Christi Church, Nundah, on
Wednesday, 10 February 2010 at 11.00am.